emceed by Ms. Juju Chang, news anchor of ABC’s Good Morning America
“United Nations, New York, 24 February, 2011 – Luminaries from the worlds of politics, entertainment, business, the media, music and film are joining the United Nations today as it celebrates the birth of a powerful new agency giving voice to women and girls worldwide.” Read more here http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=37612&Cr=UN+Women&Cr1
UN Women formally known as the UN Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women, was established in July 2010 by the General Assembly, merging four previous UN bodies dealing with women’s issues. It is headed by former Chilean president, Michelle Bachelet.
- UN Women Puts Gender Equality In The International Spotlight (blogs.forbes.com)
- You: Geena Davis hits out at Hollywood at UN Women gala (france24.com)
- Sister, Can You Spare $100 Million for Women and Girls? (blog-aauw.org)
- UN Women won’t tread on others’ toes, says coordinator (thehimalayantimes.com)
- Former president back in spotlight in UN role (foxnews.com)