I have dreamed about what it would be like to work for the company Patagonia. I imagine that the work environment is buzzing with the same love of life, innovation and adventure that runs in the veins of it’s founder Yvon Chouinard. Many others went beyond dreaming and applied. In the not so distant past Patagonia was receiving approximately 900 applicants for each job opening. These people were drawn by two factors
A. Yvon Chouinard, the fascinating, unconventional, challenging person, legendary outdoor sportsman, and constant innovator
B. Yvon Chouinard’s business model which shows his deep respect for people and the earth
Here are some facets of the Chouinard Business Model
1. earth first
2. constant innovation
2. no toxins released into rivers
3. no nervous breakdowns
4. no chasing endless, unsustainable growth
5. no disposable crap that people don’t need
6. onsite day care with an annex area for newborns
7. maternity and paternity leave and
9. least impact, recycled and recyleable products
10. evironmental assessment of all materials
11. toxic assessment of all materials
12. bad for earth? make it better
13. bad for people? make it better
14. send item back when worn out
15. marketing materials 100% recycled
16. ground or sea shipping suggested
17. tax ourselves & donate to grass roots organizations
18. nothing that involves clear-cutting forests
19. nothing that involves polluting land or oceans
20. nothing that involves bulldozing wetlands
21. no pasty faced corpse employees
22. nothing involving genetically modified foods or over fishing
23. employees that know about sustainability
24. highest quality products
25. Surf up? employees out surfing!
26. Child sick? employee at home with child
27. barefoot employees!
28. cavorting pets!
29. organic chef
30. no suits
31. Enjoy life! Play!
Chouinard designed a business model that serves to protect what he loves most and has successfully blazed the way for others to do the same. I know I am not alone when I say that he is one of my all time heros.